Are my shares "CHESS sponsored" and what does this mean?
Shares that are registered with a stock broker. If your shares were purchased via, or held with a stockbroker, your shares are "CHESS sponsored".
CHESS sponsored shares are allocated a Holder Identification Number (HIN) by the broker, which is generally found in the top right-hand corner, starts with an "X" and is 10-12 digits long.
A CHESS sponsored holding will require 'conversion' before it can be sold (see below).
What if my holding statement number starts with an "I"?
How do I donate my "CHESS sponsored" shares?
- Please complete our share sale donation form, including your Holder Identification Number (HIN) and sponsoring broker's company name.
- If your broker is one of our supporting brokers, you do not need to take any further action. We can facilitate your share sale.
- If you use an alternate broker, please see below.
My broker is NOT one of your supporting brokers. What do I do next?
We are here to help convert your holding from "CHESS sponsored" to "Issuer sponsored" as quickly and as easily as possible. Following the steps below, will help avoid unnecessary delays.
Step 1: Check and submit your form
Before you submit your share sale donation form to ShareGift Australia, we recommend you carefully check the following details:
- Ensure the signature on your form matches the one used at the time of
purchasing your shares
- If your shareholding is held in a joint account, include the signatures of ALL registered shareholders
- Clearly print the first and last name under each signature
- Include the 'Date signed' at the bottom of your form
For detailed instructions on completing your share sale donation form field-by-field, please see Share Sale Donation form and guide.
Step 2: We contact your broker
We will verify the details of your broker and contact them to request the release of your nominated shareholding via a 'CHESS to Issuer Sponsored Conversion'.
Step 3: Your broker to action
Your broker will release your shares via a 'CHESS to Issuer Sponsored Conversion'. On completion of this release, a new Issuer Sponsored Holding Statement is posted by the relevant share registry to your registered address as confirmation.
NOTE: If you have moved address since purchasing your shares, you should contact the relevant share registry to ensure your registered address is current - this guarantees you will receive your Issuer Sponsored Holding Statement.
Step 4: Contact us with your SRN
- emailing a copy of the Issuer Sponsored Holding Statement to email@example.com, or
- mailing a copy of the Issuer Sponsored Holding Statement to: ShareGift Australia, GPO Box 4370, Melbourne VIC 3001 Australia