1. I have an Issuer Sponsored holding. My securityholder reference number starts with "I". What does this mean?
- You can now donate your shares.
2. I have a CHESS holding. My holder identification number as shown on share registry communications, starts with "X". What does this mean?
- If the shares you wish to donate are held in CHESS with:
- one of our supporting stockbrokers, please use our CHESS Holding sale donation form (participating brokers); or,
- a non-participating stockbroker or other participant, your holding needs to be converted out of CHESS (please see below - Section 3. How to convert a CHESS Holding).
3. How to convert a CHESS Holding
Step 1: Request a CHESS Conversion
This needs to be done directly with your sponsoring participant. The name and contact details of your sponsoring participant can be found on your CHESS Holding Statement (see Illustration 1 above). Your sponsoring participant is obliged to convert the registration of a CHESS holding to an Issuer Sponsored holding on receipt of a properly completed request (which is most likely to be a free service).
- To issue a CHESS Conversion instruction to your broker, broker, contact your sponsoring participant to obtain the correct form. If they do not have their own CHESS Conversion form, you may use this CHESS Conversion request form and send it to your adviser/broker via email or post.
Note: If you have moved address since purchasing your shares, please advise your sponsoring participant prior to making the conversion request so that they can inform the relevant share registry of your updated registered details - this guarantees you will receive the new Issuer Sponsored Holding Statement (see below). By converting your holding from CHESS, your standing instructions should stay intact which should mean you don’t get a weighty new shareholder kit.
Step 2: Your new Issuer Sponsored Holding Statement
After your shares are converted from CHESS, you will be sent via post:
- an Issuer Sponsored Holding Statement from the relevant share registry to your registered address (approx. 7-10 business days after conversion). You will need the information from this holding statement to proceed to Step 3: Donate your shares.
Note: You may also receive a new shareholder welcome pack, notwithstanding you are a continuing shareholder.
- a CHESS Holding Statement that show a zero balance with a notation - "Movement of Securities from CHESS to Issuer Subregister."
Note: This statement does not indicate that the shares have been sold, but rather that the registration has been converted from a CHESS holding to an Issuer Sponsored holding. You now need to proceed to Step 3: Donate your shares.
Illustration 2: Sample Issuer Sponsored Holding Statement
Step 3: Donate your sharesComplete our share sale donation form and submit via:
Email: email@example.com, orPost: ShareGift Australia, GPO Box 4370, Melbourne VIC 3001 Australia
Note: Instructions available here to complete the form. Please also refer to your new Issuer Sponsored Holding Statement (see Illustration 2: Sample Issuer Sponsored Holding Statement below).
We will now complete the following steps. There is no further action required from you.
Step 4: Confirmation of your share sale donation
We will issue a confirmation tax receipt on completion of your share sale donation to your nominated email (or postal address where no email address is supplied). In the following calendar month you will be sent a holding statement by the share registry, by post. This statement will set out the date ShareGift's participating stockbroker arranged the settlement of your donation.
Step 5: Notification of charities fundedWe will publish the annual list of recipient charities via our Annual Report and website (November). You will receive digital notification of our Annual Report, providing you have not unsubscribed from our mailing list (subscribe here).