ShareGift Australia provides a platform to
increase giving by shareholders to the Australian community, in a
sustainable and transparent manner.
In short, we convert share parcels to cash, and donate the proceeds to charity.
To achieve this, we work with our stockbroker partners to facilitate the share sale without charging brokerage, so if you are an Australian shareholder you can claim a tax deduction for the shares' full market value.
Complete our share sale donation form
- shares must be held in actively trading ASX listed securities
- we do not accept shareholdings valued under AUD$2 or those held in delisted or suspended companies
- we are unable to accept shares held in Self-Managed Super Funds (SMSF)
Nominate a charity or leave that part to us
The shareholder may recommend an Australian charity where the share sale donation exceeds AUD$50, or they can leave that part to us.
- any nominated charity must meet the Australian Taxation Office's (ATO) eligibility criteria of DGR (deductible gift recipient) Item 1 status. If you are unsure of your preferred charity's status, you may search via the ACNC's charity register here.
- We undertake due diligence on all nominated charities to confirm ATO eligibility before we distribute any funds. See our Charities supported page for examples to date.
Return your completed signed form to us.
We issue a tax receipt on sale of your shares
We facilitate the sale of the shares via one of our Supporting Brokers. A confirmation receipt, including the details of the sale, is issued to the registered shareholder on completion of the transaction.
- Share sale donations over $2.00 are tax deductible for Australian shareholders.
- There is no brokerage charge, so all proceeds are used for charitable purposes.
- If for any reason the shares cannot be sold, our Shareholder & Corporate Services team will notify the shareholder directly.
We notify you of charities funded
ShareGift Australia annually reviews funds for distribution to the community at 30 June.
To determine this annual allocation, all donated share proceeds are aggregated and are assessed by our board of directors, guided by any recommendations received from individual shareholders and supporting companies.
Where a shareholder does not nominate a charity or the value of the share sale is less than AUD$50, the funds are pooled and added to the distribution of nominated charities.
For more information on how this process works, please refer to our Distribution Policy.