STEP 1 Complete our share sale donation form
You or your client completes a Share Sale Donation Form which authorises ShareGift Australia to facilitate the sale of shares (for instructions to completing the share sale donation form, click here).
Please note each of the following:
- DONATE SHARES BY WEDNESDAY 31 JULY ShareGift is currently working with the share registry and broking sectors to re-engineer our service to provide a more accessible way of donating shares, particularly for CHESS Holdings.
As an interim measure, we will be suspending our donation service for Issuer Sponsored Holdings and CHESS Holdings held with non-participating brokers after Wednesday 31 July.
If you are a client of our participating brokers, JBWere, Evans & Partners and E.L. & C. Baillieu Limited, you may continue to donate holdings after this date.
- Shares must be held in actively trading ASX listed securities
- We do not accept shareholdings:
- valued under AUD$2
- held in delisted or suspended companies
- held in Self-Managed Super Funds (SMSF)
- Shares held with a broker other than one of our Supporting Brokers will need to be 'converted' to an Issuer Sponsored holding before the share sale can be undertaken. For more information, see CHESS to Issuer sponsored FAQ.
- You do not pay brokerage for the sale of your shares but may be liable for any capital gains tax arising from the sale depending on individual circumstances. If you are unsure, please seek advice from a licensed financial adviser and/or tax adviser who is a registered agent. ShareGift Australia does not provide financial advice.
STEP 2 Nominate a charity or leave that part to us
The shareholder may recommend an Australian charity where the share sale donation exceeds AUD$100, or you can leave that part to us.
- any nominated charity must meet the Australian Taxation Office's (ATO) eligibility criteria of DGR (deductible gift recipient) Item 1 status. If you are unsure of your preferred charity's status, you may search via the ACNC's charity register here.
- We undertake due diligence on all nominated charities to confirm ATO eligibility before we distribute any funds. See our Our impact page for examples to date.
Donors may contribute to ShareGift Australia's operations by simply opting out of any charity nomination on your share sale donation form. Your donation will then be pooled and contribute to our charitable distributions, our operations and/ or invested for future community benefit. We are passionate about our unique service. All donations help us continue our work to provide real financial benefit for hundreds of Australian charities every year.
100% of all donated share proceeds are used for charitable purposes.
STEP 3 We issue a tax receipt on sale of your shares
We facilitate the sale of the shares via one of our Supporting Brokers. A confirmation receipt, including the details of the sale, is issued to the registered shareholder on completion of the transaction.
- Share sale donations over $2.00 are tax deductible for Australian shareholders.
- There is no brokerage charge, so all proceeds are used for charitable purposes.
- If for any reason the shares cannot be sold, our Shareholder & Corporate Services team will notify the shareholder directly.
STEP 4 We notify you of charities funded
ShareGift Australia annually reviews funds for distribution to the community at 30 June.
We contact all contributing shareholders and ASX companies each year with the release of our Annual Report, which includes a complete list of charities funded.
To determine our annual allocation, all donated share proceeds from that financial year are aggregated and are assessed by our board of directors, guided by any recommendations received from individual shareholders and supporting companies. Where a shareholder does not nominate a charity or the value of the share sale is less than AUD$100, the funds are pooled and used to increase our funding to charities, partially support our operations, or to invest for future community benefit (or a combination of all three).
For more information on how this process works, please refer to our Distribution Policy.