How often do you distribute funds?
ShareGift Australia distributes share proceeds to Australian charities on an annual basis (after 30 June).
To determine our annual funding allocation, all donated share proceeds are aggregated and allocations are assessed by our Board of Directors, guided by any recommendations we receive from our donors and participating companies. Aggregated funds are used to fund charities, partially support our operations or to invest for future community benefit (or a combination of all three).
Our distributions consider the sale value of the shares donated and the number of recommendations received for each eligible charity:
- Charities must hold Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) Item 1 and have TCC status to be eligible.
- We do not accept applications for funding from charities, nor maintain a list of 'preferred' charity recipients - we are charity and cause neutral. We encourage our donors and participating companies to nominate a charity for funding. Please see our Charities funded for a complete list of charities funded to date.
- Shareholders may nominate a recipient charity if the value of your share sale donation exceeds AUD$100, or you can leave that part to us.
- Where a shareholder does not nominate a charity or the value of the share sale is less than AUD$100, the funds are pooled and allocated as outlined above.
- The ATO's Public Ancillary Funds Guidelines prohibit us passing on the exact proceeds of each share sale directly to a recommended charity. One of the many benefits of ShareGift Australia as a donor-advised fund is that we consolidate donated share proceeds, which generally enables us to create a multiplier effect for charities in terms of dollars received.
100% of all donated share proceeds are used for charitable purposes to ensure ShareGift Australia is freely available to Australian shareholders, listed companies and charities.