Share proceeds are an often overlooked source of revenue for charities and yet Australia has one of the highest levels of share ownership in the world. Imagine unleashing a fraction of the ASX's current market capitalisation of $1.5 trillion for your charity.
Where do you start?
2. Explain how to donate shares to your supporters
- donate shares, and
- nominate your organisation as the recipient charity.
For example:Did you know you can donate shares instead of cash?
ShareGift Australia is a not-for-profit organisation that provides shareholders with the opportunity to sell their shares and donate the proceeds to charity.
Donating through ShareGift Australia means you don’t have to engage a stockbroker, there are no brokerage fees and if the proceeds of your share sale exceed $100, you can even nominate [insert charity name] to benefit from ShareGift Australia's funding.
All you have to do is complete and sign the share sale donation form available here [link to ShareGift Australia's website] and remember to nominate [insert charity name].
Donate shares now [insert hyperlink to ShareGift's website].
3. Make it easy to donate share proceeds
- Include the option to donate shares in all communication material (eg. your website, particularly the donation page, digital media and donor collateral)
- Link to the share sale donation form and instructions on our website (please note: we periodically make adjustments to the form in response to regulatory and other conditions. Therefore, we recommend you always direct supporters to the form on our website to ensure you have the latest version available).
- Include donating share proceeds in your seasonal fundraising campaigns
eg. Christmas campaign, end of financial year (EOFY) campaign - shareholders often clean up their share portfolios at that time of year.
4. Share stories
5. Enlist your corporate partners and board of directors
6. Subscribe to ShareGift Australia
7. Announce when you receive funds from ShareGift
Guidelines for using ShareGift Australia's brand
- your charity meets our funding eligibility criteria
- you are promoting the donation of shares via ShareGift Australia to your supporters, and
- you use the ShareGift Australia brand as prescribed below:
- ensure there is sufficient clear space so it is not cluttered and is always set part
- do not distort the logo
- ensure that the logo height is never less than 10mm high
- only use ShareGift Australia's logo to promote the donation of shares with a link to our website
- ensure "ShareGift Australia" always appears in full (ie. no abbreviations)
- please note that "ShareGift" contains a capital "G"
- you do not use ShareGift Australia's name or logo as an endorsement
Share Sale Donation Form
- link to the share sale donation form on our website (please note: we periodically make adjustments to the form in response to regulatory and other conditions. Therefore, we recommend you always direct supporters to our website to ensure you have the latest version available)