1. Before completing a donation form, please check your donation is eligible for trading
a. The shares are held in actively trading ASX listed securities (check ASX listing here)
b. You have the valid Shareholder Reference Number (SRN). This typically starts with the letter ‘I’ followed by 9 or 10 digits. Your statement will also mention “Issuer Sponsored”. Should the reference number start with ‘X’ and the statement mentions “CHESS Sponsored” you will need to convert your HRN to an SRN before donating (see Step 2 below).
b. Each share parcel:
i. has a total value over AUD$2;
ii is NOT held in delisted or suspended companies; and,
iii. is NOT held in Self-Managed Super Funds (SMSF)
2. If necessary, convert your shares from CHESS Sponsored to Issuer Sponsored
If you have a valid Shareholder Reference Number (SRN) you can skip this step and complete the form at Step 3 below.
If your holding is through a broker and you have a Holding Reference Number (HRN) rather than an SRN, you will need to convert the holding from CHESS Sponsored to Issuer Sponsored. Please follow How to convert a CHESS Holding
Please note that we are no longer able to accept donations of CHESS sponsored holdings.
3. Download and complete the Issuer Sponsored Share sale donation form
- You do not pay brokerage for the sale of your shares but may be liable for any capital gains tax arising from the sale depending on individual circumstances. If you are unsure, please seek advice from a licensed financial adviser and/or tax adviser who is a registered agent.
- ShareGift Australia does not provide financial advice. ShareGift Australia Limited ACN 109 549 304 is exempt from the requirement under subsection 911A(1) of the Corporations Act 2001 to hold an Australian financial services licence where the Company provides financial services in relation to the relevant activities in its capacity as trustee of ShareGift Australia.
- For guidance available here with Instructions to complete share sale donation form.